Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March 8th - International Women's Day

Hello SCD Women's Network! Did you know that today is International Women's Day? Thought you might like to learn more about it. In some countries, it's actually a national holiday - cool huh? Anyway, there's a whole website devoted to the initiative - check it out.

Who is the inspirational woman in your life? Add your comment below and you'll be entered into a drawing for a gift card!

14 comments:

Women's Network said...

My mom and my sisters are always a huge inspiration to me! - Becky

Christian MacIver said...

I had a first grade teacher who went out of her way to help the girls feel intelligent & confident. She was the first woman I met who went by 'Ms'. I still keep in touch with her.

Tamkio Bligen said...

Mrs Kohn taught me it was OK to be strong, intelligent, and have an opinion, while maintaining my feminism.

Unknown said...

I had several role models in my life...my mom, my grandma and a first grade teacher that I thought was so cool that I learned to play the flute just like her. I was also so intrigued by Amelia Earhart...what a strong adventurous women in her day!

renee baxley said...

I have several. My Grandmother for her wisdom. My Mother for teaching me great values. My Daughter for her courage and strength.

Becky Smith said...

My mother-in-law is one of my role models. She is intelligent and strong but maintains her femininity. She has just ventured out into a new career after retiring last year. She teaches me to have a passion for what you do.

Laurie said...

My Mom has always been an inspiration to me. She was a single Mom and I watched and learned from her incredible work ethic and independence.

Professionally, I think about an amazing woman I met when I started with Westvaco (23 years ago!). There weren't many female engineers with the company back then so we really bonded. She became my mentor and close friend.

Meredith Shuler said...

My mom is a huge inspiration for raising 3 kids so close together, and teaching us that you can't control what people say so you might as well do what you want. My sisters for always providing guidance whether I asked for it or not. And finally, my aunt who has defied many odds and is not the first female Director of the US Marshall Services!

Jenna Michael said...

My mother is my inspiration. She is intelligent, independent, and a great role model. I admire her so much. I could not ask for a better mother.

Jennifer Thompson said...

My mom was always my inspiration, going from a housewife to a single mom with five mouths to feed. She would always manage to have enough food for us to eat. I am now inspired by my daughter who is an absolute joy to raise!

Katelyn Rohrs said...

My mother is a true inspiration to me. From an early age, she taught me the importance of being independent and the power of education. My mom is an OB/GYN serving for the US Army. Also, my first mentor at MWV, Jennifer Anglehart…what an amazing woman!

Ashley Sizemore said...

My mother for her strong will & nurturing soul.
My sister for her dedication & unrelenting desire to better herself.
My two little girls who inspire me to be a better woman.

Sandra Herring said...

More than any other woman I can think of? my mother - definitely. She has been my cheerleader, confidant, teacher, advisor, critic and most of all my friend. There have been many great women who have inspired me over the years to different degrees but my mother's continual uplifting influence has been a constant that has exceeded all others.

Christian MacIver said...

Wow! Reading through this, what a profound impact we as mothers have on our children. Maybe we should make next year's International Women's Day a day to bring your daughter to work to show her what women in business do.